Merced County Office of Education

Glossary of Printing Terms:

Artwork: All original copy, including type, photos and illustrations, intended for printing. Also called art.

Astrobright Paper – is brightly colored paper for printing and design.

Basis Weight: In the United States and Canada, the weight, in pounds, of a ream (500 sheets) of paper cut to the basic size.

Bind: the joining of leafs or signatures together with either wire, glue or other means.

Bond Paper: Category of paper commonly used for writing, printing and photocopying also called business paper, communication paper, correspondence paper and writing paper. A grade of writing or printing paper used where strength, durability and permanence are essential requirements.

Camera Ready Copy: Mechanicals, photographs and art fully prepared for reproduction according to the technical requirements of the printing process being used. Also called finished art and reproduction copy.

Collate: To organize printed matter in a specific order as requested.

Comb Bind:  To bind by inserting the teeth of a flexible plastic comb through holes punched along the edge of a stack of paper. Also called plastic bind and GBC bind (a brand name).

Cover: Thick paper that protects a publication and advertises its title. Parts of covers are often described as follows: Cover 1=outside front; Cover 2=inside front; Cover 3=inside back, Cover 4=outside back.

Cover Paper: Category of thick paper used for products such as posters, menus, folders and covers of paperback books.

Desktop publishing: Technique of using a personal computer to design images and pages, and assemble type and graphics, then using a laser printer or image setter to output the assembled pages onto paper, film or printing plate. Abbreviated DTP.

Drill: In the printing arena, to drill a hole in printed matter.

Gutter: The blank space or inner margin, from printing area to binding.

Head Margin: The white space above the first line on the page.

Jog: To align sheets of paper into a compact pile.

NCR: A multiple-part paper form that does not use carbon paper. The ink is adhered to the reverse side of the previous sheet. Originally developed by NCR Corporation and known as "NCR brand, carbonless paper," it has also been called "no carbon required" paper.

Saddle wire: To fasten a booklet by wiring it through the middle fold of the sheets also known as stitching.

Self-Cover: A cover of the same weight paper as the inside text pages.

Spiral Binding: Binding wires in spiral form inserted through holes punched along the binding side.